Welcome

Welcome to my traveler's journal!

We found work!

Finally got the time and good wether to send you a video update of what we've been doing over the last two weeks.
I'm really sorry about the audio feed for this video. It sounds muffled every now and then because my finger accidentally goes over the microphone :(. But I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!



I mention briefly in the video that our combined wage is $500 a week on top of the free accommodation. In addition, we get a bonus depending on how much money the hostel pulls in every week. It's calculated at 7.5% of every dollar we make over $2,500. (ex: last week we made $4,460, so our bonus was $147). The owners have told us that at peak accupancy, the bonus will max out at about $200 :)

But enough numbers, the only thing that matters is that I've aready made enough to pay Courtney back for the money she had to put down up front for the repairs to our stolen car :D  It's really relieving to see some progress towards our savings, showing that us that it really is worth our while to be stuck in one place for a bit!

Now all I need to worry about is giving us a little boost! Managing the hostel is really only a one-person job, (once you get the hang of it), and Courtney is excellent at it, so it's time for me to go out and find additional work. I have put in an application at the new recreation/aquatic center in town, but it seems that they already have all the staff they need :S Chances are that I'll be joining most of our hostel's guests in the vinyards, pruning and stripping vines for the next month. It's really hard labor, but at up to $150 a day it should be worth my while. If I don't have any calls back about my application, I'll be starting before the end of the week.

Wish me luck!

No comments: